Dear Danville #118 Students, Staff, Parents and Community Members:
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! As District 118's superintendent, I look forward to a rewarding educational experience, not only for myself, but for all stakeholders in our learning community.
As I look ahead for this school year, I deeply believe it is our responsibility and mission as educators to maximize the learning potential of all students who are a part of the Danville #118 educational family. This is accomplished through the dedication and inspiration of our tremendous staff and through the high expectations and support of the community. This is also accomplished by focusing on what the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) calls their “whole child” tenants:
* Each student enters school healthy and learns about and practices a healthy lifestyle.
* Each student learns in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students and adults.
* Each student is actively engaged in learning and is connected to the school and broader community.
* Each student has access to personalized learning and is supported by qualified, caring adults.
* Each student is challenged academically and prepared for success in college or further study and for employment and participation in a global environment. (ASCD, 2012)
Due to the demands of the 21st century, our students need to develop the critical and creative thinking necessary to navigate their paths to success. Danville #118 has initiated several programs and practices to support these tenants. I look forward to working with the entire district community to expand and refine them to yield greater results. It is exciting, demanding, and complex work, but essential to the success of our students.
I look forward to our future celebrations, problem-solving our challenges, and overall, learning together during this new school year!
Yours in education,
Dr. Alicia Geddis